Angelos Delivorrias was born in Athens in 1939. He studied at the universities of Thessaloniki, Athens and Freiburg. In 1965 he joined the Greek Archaeological Service, working first at the National Archaeological Museum of Athens and later as a curator at the antiquities ephorates of Arcadia and Laconia.
After winning the A.V. Humboldt Stiftung Scholarship in 1969, he did his doctoral research at the University of Tubingen, followed by post-doctoral studies at the Sorbonne and the Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes in Paris.
Director of the Benaki Museum, Athens since 1973, he won international recognition for his radical refurbishment of the museum, completed in 2000, and was awarded the gold medal of the Athens Academy.
In 1992, he was elected professor of art history in the theatre studies department at Athens University. Articles and papers he has written have appeared in numerous publications in Greece and abroad.